support my work on patreon live workshop and online courses with Xia Taptara FREE VIDEO AND PS BRUSHES

Draw and paint mythology creature monster design Chimera

Draw and paint chimera a mythology creature monster design. This post is somewhat related to the previous post, How to draw lion head study. Intentionally I was going to do a creature tutorial and one of the creature that are often under represent is Chimera. So I am doing a step by step and video tutorial of how to draw and paint the Chimera creature from Greek Mythology. Well, originally it does have wings, but I put them in because I thought that would make it more powerful and such.
A brief statement about the creature, Homer's brief description in the Iliad is the earliest surviving literary reference: "a thing of immortal make, not human, lion-fronted and snake behind, a goat in the middle, and snorting out the breath of the terrible flame of bright fire".
Anyway, I usually started off with just line drawn to get a sense of shapes, forms and possibly composition. Then I will just go into the image and block out the big shape as a whole first. Then later I will define the main shape using values, most likely two to three values should be enough to get the illustration going. As an underpainting or speedpainting, you don't need much of values or color to represent your image. Just enough to make it read, but most of all the lighting is a crucial element. Because lighting is very much every thing (or it make image visible) so I am trying to painting according to the light. Whatever is in the shadow, will basically has similar values, not necessary exactly the same, but real close.

Here is what I have so far, it is still work in progress.

Creature design work in progress.



Here are step by step drawing then painting creature concept:
Manga tutorial drawing monster

Digital painting tutorial creature

Here is the finale image so far:
concept art process creature
to be continued
Also a larger image here: Creature concept design process

*Video tutorial is coming soon* Be patient :)

Download over 30 minutes of Free videos from idrawgirls.

Free      Videos          Download & More


Comments

art-seb said…
Hello from France, your blog is always so good, I often passes. I think I'm going to join us. See you soon...
Luca Cauchi said…
Looking cooool - I mean warm :)

Nice one brother.

(Why is it that the previous posts are no longer displayed underneath the recent one - like the lion heads and the tips you wrote some days ago?)

Thanks.
idrawgirls said…
Art-seb> Thank bro!!! :)

Luca> Thanks, well they are still there on the second page, I just want to keep the first page more presentable with good ones and videos, not just random stuff. :)
Luca Cauchi said…
Oh I see :) Thanks for letting me know. Well done again.
Hello, idrawgirls! :)
I love your blog.
I know this is suppose to be a tutorial blog, but it's still so complicated to follow, especially the basic drawings. LOL Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining... :)
Anyway, when will you post another video again? Or is there a link here where I can see the videos of your recent project, like this mythology creature?

Take care,
Gracie
"*Video tutorial is coming soon* Be patient :)"

Alright, I didn't see this until now. Sorry, I was so excited. :D
Anonymous said…
Your paintings are awesome and i heard you do things for AreaNet i was wondering if you could show a picture that you made for Guild wars.
idrawgirls said…
G.Evergreen> LOL, you are funny.

Anonymous> Thanks, yes...I still do work for Arenanet at the moment. Dude...they are somewhere on this blog, look around. Or go to xiataptara.com

peace!
Rigtje said…
Followed this tutorial on youtube! The result was pretty awesome. I still have to finish it though. Thanks for your awesome tutorial. I learned alot from it!
Dregon said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
idrawgirls said…
Rigtje> Thanks. Awesome, keep it up and I will try to make more better one real soon. :)


Dregon> Yep, all the answer is on the right side column of the blog Q/A and such. :)