support my work on patreon live workshop and online courses with Xia Taptara FREE VIDEO AND PS BRUSHES

7 most useful digital painting tips for artists

7 most useful digital painting tips for artists.  These are the most requested or most asked questions that I get for the past five to six years since I started the blog.

1) What size of canvas to paint in Photoshop? or How to set up canvas size in Photoshop?


FOR WEB PUBLISHING
I usually base the format sizing on standard paper or illustration sizes are 5x7, 9x12, 11x14, 11x17 inches. Then I set it at the 72 dpi. So if my final size is 9x12 at 72 dpi resolution, I will have to work 2 times bigger.
So it would be
18 x 24 at 72 dpi
or
9 x 12 at 144 dpi



FOR PRINT, this will required a higher resolution.
I usually base the format sizing on standard paper or illustration sizes are 5x7, 9x12, 11x14, 11x17 inches. Then I set it at 200 dpi. (200 to 300 dpi is best for printing resolution)

So if my final size is 9x12 at 200 dpi resolution, I will have to work 2 times bigger.
It would be
9 x 12 at 300 dpi


2) What is your tablet setting?
For tablet setting, I use default setting most of the time. Don't worry so much about that, very minor stuff. Just make sure your pen is pressure sensitive, that is all there is to it.

3) How many do you use in digital painting?
I use a few layers at the time then I merge them all. Focus on value (light and dark). Be honest and trust your eye because your brain will tell you otherwise. Draw what you see, not what you think the object should look like.
Here are some useful tips for using layers and values
-Photoshop tutorial using overlay mode
-Photoshop tutorial using multiply mode
-Color vs value compare in painting for artists.

4) What level of opacity do you use for your digital painting?

First, I use low opacity (30-50%) to find values and move shapes/shadow around. It's kind of similar process when you sketch with pencil, you have to get a rough draft or construction lines and rough values (shading, lighting)
After I get what seems to be underpainting (close to corrected values) then I use only (70-100%) and be precise of where you put your paint and strokes using 100% help keep your color clean and not muddy.
For more detail: What opacity setting I use in digital painting.


5) What type of brushes do you use?
Tips on Brushes is you have to understand edges. 1,000 brushes can only produce 3 kind of edges. Hard, soft and lost... no matter how many brushes there is still only 3 edges. Don't know if you get it now but if you keep painting for years then you will.
I can just use default round, hard and soft to paint, as shown below.
-Draw realistic face front view.
Below are useful information on edges.
-Painting edges in illustration
-Achieving looseness in digital painting

6) How do you make custom brushes in Photoshop?
Go watch video tutorial.
-How to make custom brushes in Photoshop tutorial.
And
-Free Photoshop brushes download.

7) How do I improve my digital painting skill.
I would say, paint everyday if you can and these simple rules will help you improve.
-Three important rules for painting.
-Painting check list for artists and painters.

Below are my recent tutorial with video.
-Digital painting tutorial Darth Maul

Enjoy the post,
TheArtClasses




Comments

shane walsh said…
Excellent advice and much appreciated Xia.