support my work on patreon live workshop and online courses with Xia Taptara FREE VIDEO AND PS BRUSHES

How to draw a bird, Parrot, African Grey CUTE animal Cartoon: easy Step by Step BASIC Video Lesson

How to draw a cartoon bird,
Drawing and sketching cute animal bird, Parrot, African Grey CUTE animal easy video tutorial little bird, wild chibi animal for cartoon and comics.
Step by Step video, tutorial from basic sketching to coloring online lesson for comics cartoon illustration, manga, anime.

we'll continue after answering some drawing, sketching and painting questions.

Questions from Viewers!!!

Q: I love the one with Miss Portman. I just wish there was more explanation about what you were doing when you are laying down the underpainting, as well as screen shots of what you were doing in phothshop. Do you have any real time paintings that show you going step by step through the program?

A: Thanks, I often sometimes miss some content that I want to explain on certain videos, but mostly I try to spell out what I know. I wish I know more, really. If you want to know how to select color and palette, Richard Schmidth's book is what I highly recommend. He explain value, color, and how to figure. He is one of the best contemporary artist/ Oil painter. Color and value Principle also apply the same to digital painting. It's one of the best book ever recommended to me. He is a true master. -Alla Prima: Everything I Know About Painting (Richard Schmidth) -Oil Painting for the Serious Beginner: Basic Lessons in Becoming a Good Painter

Great Exercises for you and anyone.
-Practice gray scale illustration (from black to white or acromatic) get it nail down as much as you could.
-Practice drawing using ONLY Black and White
-Do a gray scale painting and add one color (with its value) (monocromatic)
-Do a gray scale and apply three colors palette.
These should help you understand how to apply color

As for a real time video, there are good reason people and I won't do it.
1) No one would really have the patience to watch it for full half hours or 40 mins. 2) They won't let me upload that big of a file. Keep practicing, for us artist that's the best way to learn...there is no short cut. Also keep watching everyday as I progress...or hoping to get better also :)

Q: Xia, when you are drawing the values on Portman's face, what colors were you using from the color palette and how were you selecting your colors?

A: I actually focus on the value primary, then edge...color is not really my focus they come from my palette. The outcome is pretty much the result of the value and edge in my painting (sound confused, but it really is not). Look for Ander Zorn, he can paint using only 5 colors limited palette. Try to get cool and warm in balance.

Q: Are there more tutorials for photoshop out there that show step by step drawing and the settings and selections they are making on the palette for photoshop?

A: Don't worry so much about color or palette UNLESS you are aiming for school of Monet style and early impressionism. VALUE (lighting) is more important to me, and simplify value if you are going for manga or anime illustration. I hope I make some sense. Personally, color choice is a mere decision or arrangement of cool and warm (temperature) of over all pic and how vibrant you want it to be. Keep it simple. :) If you really want to know more, Schmidth (-Alla Prima: Everything I Know About Painting by Richard Schmidth) is the best book on painting, everything value and color.

Now we are back to DRAWING BIRD:
Here is a final image of a African Grey Parrot:
Here is some easy construction guideline: (click to enlarge)

Here is the video how to a Bird step by step with narration:

Drawing Software & Tools I used:
-Adobe Photoshop CS2
-Wacom Intuos3 6X8 Pen Tablet
(or Bamboo (Small) Pen Tablet new from Wacom!) Economy for everyone.

New tutorials:
-How to draw a woman top-view angle.
-How to draw Mecha: Robotech
-Learn to draw a woman portrait: Natalia Vodianova
-How to draw mecha, Getter Robo
-How to draw a Dog: Hyena Cartoon
-Drawing and painting famale face: Alessandra Ambrosio
-How to draw Manga & Anime, girl
-How to draw Dragon Creature #007
-How to draw woman or female
-How to draw Mech: Hoover Craft 001
-How to draw a Cyclop creature
-Learn to draw woman sketch.

Photoshop Tutorial:
-How to make a Photoshop custom brush #1
-How to make a Photoshop custom brush #2

** If you have any basic questions or specific and do not get my reply right away, please be patience. I usually answer them. In the mean time you can browse through all the Menu or Archives. Your questions may already be solves in one of these tutorials.

Thanks for all overwhelming e-mails guys!!! Due to the high volume of e-mails and questions, I apologized that I cannot usually reply to you within a day or two. I will try my best to answer them all personally and get all the questions answer either by Videos or Post.

Have a great day & thanks for stopping by!

Comments