support my work on patreon live workshop and online courses with Xia Taptara FREE VIDEO AND PS BRUSHES

How to draw Anime Girl Face.

How to draw Anime & Manga Face: Girl Step by Step tutorial

There are two methods in this post, pick which ever one you prefer. Both works!

Here is Method#1

Here is a drawing for Anime girl frontal shot. And now I am going to explain how I sketch step by step. I will try to make this one as easy and simple drawing as possible. Easy tutorial!

How to draw Anime, girl, manga, Face, Step by Step tutorial

Let's begin!
1) I start with an circle shape drawing (but imagine it's a sphere), very old school and traditional and it quick for me. On this one I am going to draw a frontal shot. (I lways attach the neck and a bit of shoulder with the head when doing face but this time we'll start of just the head)
2) Then I add a triangle shape in middle of the bottom to make a chin.
3) Then draw a horizontal line to divide the circle in half. This horizontal line would be where humans eyes should be, they are usually right in the middle of the face horizontally. And the vertical line that where the nose and lips should line up in relation to the face.
How to draw Anime, girl, manga, Face, tutorial

4) Following the marks I made. I draw the eyes and eyebrows, I then also make a mark for nose and mouth. The nose should be place half way in between the horizontal line and the bottom edge line of the circle. The mouth usually half way between the nose and chin (mostly in anime, in reality it could also be measure.)

5) After I have all the important facial feature mark, I go in and tighten up the line drawing. Also I add in her relatively large pupils.

6) At this stage I begin to draw hair line starting from her forehead.

How to draw Anime, girl, manga, Face, tutorial

7)- 8) Continue the hairline to frame her face. When do the anime or manga hair, make it simple, simplify big clump of hair and make if jaggy (I might do a tutorial on this later.)

9) The top of the head should be additional half a circle tall, measure from the top of the existing circle.

How to draw Anime, girl, manga, Face, tutorial

10) Almost there! at this stage, I just look at the overall proportion and check if it's ok to finalize the sketch then I add a slim neck and shoulder.

11) It looks ok, then I clean up the construction lines. Done! Now you have anime or manga face sketch. From here, you could tighten up the drawing more or you can go into coloring you Anime face in Photoshop or whatever you prefer.

How to draw Anime, girl, manga, Face, tutorial

How to draw Anime, girl, manga, Face, Step by Step tutorial

You might also be interested in more Anime Face Tutorials:

-"How to draw anime Girl Face: Side View

-"How to draw anime Girl Face: 3/4 Front"
OR
-"How to draw Girl face, realistic"

Hope this is helpful to you!

Here is Method#2

#2 Tutorial


Hi fellas,

Here is another tutorial on face. How to draw Anime Girl's face! That's a general term people use, I would call it a stylistic face. In my opinion, you should be able to construct a correct realistic facial proportion first then go from there to explore how would you exaggerate or caricature a facial feature in specific way. If you start to draw in particular style first, then it is difficult for you to change the way you draw. If you start from classical realistic feature, you will understand it from the foundation level and you can expand to variety of style. It is you who has the power to choose. Without foundation, it is hard to transition. So...I will show you a quick tutorial of how to draw an Anime Style face from a realistic structure.


First take a look at the first 5 steps of my previous "How to draw face" tutorial.

1) I start with an egg shape drawing, very old school and traditional and it quick for me. On this one I am going to angle it a bit so the face will be 3/4 instead of the frontal shot. Always attach the neck and a bit of shoulder with the head when doing face, it gives you more of an illusion of this is part of a person. When you see an illusion of this is a part of a person, you will do a better job filling the rest in, instead of just an outline of egg shape or oval.
2) Imagine a front surface of an egg, think in three dimension, then draw a vertical line to split it in half from top to bottom. Then draw a horizontal line to divide the top and bottom distance in half. This horizontal line would be where humans eyes should be, they are usually right in the middle of the face horizontally. But most of the time we don't really see that because our hair deceives us.
3) I add two more horizontal line on top and bottom of the existing one. These line will help me indicate how tall should the eyes be in comparison to the rest of the face. I also make the mark on the right side of the head where the top part of her ear should be.
Another mark for the bottom of her nose, it is half way in between the first horizontal line and the bottom of her chin. And again in between the nose mark and the bottom of the chin half way should be where her mouth is.
The last mark on this one is for ear lobe, it should be a bit above the nose mark.
4) Following the marks I made. I draw the eyes, it should no be taller than the distance of the top and bottom horizontal lines that I added on to the first horizontal (With exception of some style such as Disney and Manga which I might later on make a tutorial for it, but I will stick to the normal or close to normal proportion for now). Notice, I draw the corner of both eyes in relation to the first eye's indication line. Also the distance between the two eyes should equal one eye. So when you draw, imagine there is an invisible eye in between them. Then I begin to draw the nose, notice that I did not draw the whole nose. Why? Because in reality when you see the whole nose you tempt to draw the whole nose as you see. But if you paint a lot or draw a lot from life (especially in painting). You will notice, from squinting to find value in painting or rendering, that the value of the physical nose compare to the rest of the face is not at its darkest value to be able to put them in line drawing. If you were to draw a simple face which using black or darkest value to define the line drawing. The only part of the nose that should appear in line drawing should only be the bottom of the nose. Because that's where it casts the shadow as strong as a person eyes' line, eyelashes, and lips. (Make sense?) Then I finish this one off with the upper lips.
5) Now I add in eyebrows, the head of the eyebrow be about the same distance as the eye's corner horizontally (Unless you want to make your girl looks uni-brow), but the tail can be longer. Then I add a line to suggest her lower lip.
And from there, you have the foundation of the feature. Now, we will stylize it into Anime girl.
- (Option B) Or you can continue to the normal facial structure tutorial-->>HERE

6) Start from her eyes, you have to exaggerate the eye's proportion into 2 or 3 times normal size (think of a baby or cute little kid facial feature.). Then you add in extra large pupils.
7) Place her nose where it is suppose to be but stylize it into a 2D panel, making an 'L' shape drawing. Adding mouth, it has to be expressive a bit. (You can include her lips or not, it is up to you. But traditionally, they have no lips feature.)

8) At this point, you add eyebrows where is suppose to be. It should be a bit above normal range of normal facial structure. Basically, Anime or Disney have something in common which they try to babifying the face to make it more appealing to wider audiance.

9) Now you can draw the outline of the face. Typically you shorten the length of the chin, and from the cheek to the tip of the chin is short and puffier. Imaging it as if you squeeze the normal facial structure together. Then the angel from the cheeks to the bottom of the chin is a bit more drastic, but with puffy convect curve.

10) Now I clean up the construction line. Then slim down or stylize the neck and shoulder to be more like cartoon. (Once you draw tons and tons of faces, you will need less and less construction line to begin your drawing.)

11) Clean up...

12) Now I draw hair shape over her skull, then clean up the skull line.

13) At this stage, I can apply simple color on her skin and hair. (You can use Overlay Layer in Photo Shop. or paint over.)

14) Now I go in and assign color for her eyes.


15) Then I assign darker value of skin and hair over on the right hand side (her left). (You can use Multiply Layer to in Photo Shop or pick darker value and paint over.) Then I use a little bit of lighter value color to assign the light over her frontal area of her hair, tip of her nose, and highlight of her eyes.

Done! This are all quick basic instruction, nothing fancy. You can still take it as far as you like.
Hopefully, this will help you kids or anyone interested alike.


Want to see more "How to draw a Girl's Face" Tutorial: -->> HERE
More Manga or Anime girl Video Tutotials:-->>HERE

Now go find yourself a life drawing session near you and practice! You will find it a lot more valuable than any tutorial in the world. Nothing is better than drawing from a live model.
Salut!

Comments

Oh wow! This rocks! It is awesome! It is REALLY AWESOME! 1 thing the neak seems a little to long. Don't waorry! I did it all the time too! Now I am not makeing the neak so streached so its not a big deal!
idrawgirls said…
Denece> Thanks, this post is kinda old. The drawing are pretty basic...here are some new ones:
http://idrawgirls.blogspot.com/2009/07/draw-and-color-anime-girl-step-by-step.html and
http://idrawgirls.blogspot.com/2008/03/how-to-draw-manga-anime-girl-incline.html