support my work on patreon live workshop and online courses with Xia Taptara FREE VIDEO AND PS BRUSHES

Tutorial Painting limited color palette study step by step

Painting with limited color palette tutorial. How to paint with limited color palette study step by step and video

Many great artists who has been doing lots of painting (digitally and traditionally) recommended that we as artists should study limited color palettes. Why?
It's kinda like what we can learn from monochromatic and achromatic study as a tool to try to master or practice values.

Here we learn how to utilize colors and values together with limited palette.
By limiting the number of colors you use, you get to truly know the characteristics of each and are able to use it to its full potential. Because Color is fundamental to painting yet it's easy to be seduced by it and never truly master it. Though you can mix them limited choices of these small number of colors so it doesn't really mean you're severely limited in the colors you can produce.

On this particular study I am after one of Sargent's painting for the purpose of learning after one of my most favorite painters. Trying to mimic the color and values after any masters is one of the best way to learn intuitively and trying to figure out yourself how does it get that result and possibly learning repetitively will help you learn the unspoken lesson from the painting.

Keep in mind that in this exercise, I am not trying to copy it to be exact...or trying to achieve the exact likeness of his masterpiece (it's impossible :P ). I am just looking for mainly studying "VALUES" (light) and "Colors" So basically it's my goal to make this as a quick study of how he capture the light and how he apply or achieve the strokes resulting in the painting.
I limited myself to spend around 25 mins for the study session. So that it will make me more decisive and focus just like in life session.

I still have a lot to learn so I will probably keep doing the study for maybe (not promise), a few week or so...then get back to my regular routines. Hopefully there are many things that I learn from the process then I really hope to utilize them into my own painting process. And then I will keep continue this master copy study as part of my regular routine. :)

Here is the final sketch study (with the 5 color palettes in the top right corner)


Here are step by step of the study session
1)

2)

3)

4)

Finished Sketch study (total time around 25 mins)

Watch Video tutorial Painting Study limited palettes




New Drawing Video tutorials:-Drawing Arm muscle bicep, tricep and shoulder
-Drawing body muscle and abs shading and render
-Painting from life session step by step tutorial
-Manga tutorial drawing background
-Draw mutiple manga characters

FEATURE TUTORIALS:
Environmental Concept Sketch Tutorial
Face Constructed: How to draw faces
Face Constructed: How to paint portraits
-Draw and Paint Women Body Tutorial I: Female Manga Fusion I
-Draw and Paint Women Body Tutorial II: Female Manga Fusion II
-Character Design Tutorial: Dark Valkyrie

Comments

Jez said…
wow that's wonderful!! It is great to use a limited pallette,so many colours to learn about!
Luca said…
Great Xia, wonderful... maybe if I have time, I'll try to mimic this one. Good job brother! very realistic

peace!
idrawgirls said…
Jade> Thank you dear. It's true. :)

Luca> thanks brother! Keep going with what you are doing
Zee said…
Am I happy that I got linked to this by chance. I'm inspired to go and review limited palette. Awesomeness!
idrawgirls said…
Zee> Thanks brother, browse around there are more videos and keep watching...more are coming. Welcome to idrawgirls.com