support my work on patreon live workshop and online courses with Xia Taptara FREE VIDEO AND PS BRUSHES

Painting Light and Shadow in Environmental design

Painting light and shadow in environmental design or study speed painting scene. This post is a study of light and shadow and how figures or objects in shadow appear differently from the figures or objects that get expose to light.

I am just taking an excerpt from the older post, color vs values artists tip and what was quoting from the great master Craig Mullins, "Decide what is in light and what is in shadow and don’t mix them up. Two major values, but if they are well thought out and designed and drawn they can look totally real. Think like that, but instead of making the light white and the shadow black, make the light a 7 and the shadow a 3."

Then look around from some images that have similar lighting situation and compose my own using some part of story I come up with. These guys are running away from something and alley would be a good place to put the kind of lighting into use. So one figure that was ahead run into the shadow of a building when he turns in the corner. And the rest still get expose to light as they just came down the street. I hope that make sense. =)

Here is the Light and shadow study speed painting so far:

Here are step by step process studying Light and Shadow:

storyboard tutorial

painting light and shadow tutorial
Here is a bigger image: Painting light and shadow study

Enjoy!

More full length video tutorials
Environmental Concept Sketch Tutorial
Free  Videos      Download & More

Comments

Chris Reeve said…
Very cool, Groove-y you might say. Thanks for the tutorial by the way, I'm only half-way through, but I was glad to see that you had a bit of trouble with foreshortening too!

Where do you find the time to draw all day and night and sleep, exercise and refuel?!
Andrea said…
Very interesting tutorial and great image, your blog keeps getting more and more useful and addicting :)
Octavian Bene said…
Very good tutorial, Xia. Thanks!
idrawgirls said…
@Chris Thanks brother, only if you know what comes next and what they are running away from... ha ha...
I don't know where time comes from, I wish I have more so there would be more drawing. And I wish I could paint along with having Vodka, but I did try a few times...no Vodka and paint does not goes well together. Work does not = after party sadly.

@Andrea Thank you, more to come, but now I am fighting the FLU... slow me down badly for a few days now.

@Octavian Bene Thanks bro, Cheers!!!