support my work on patreon live workshop and online courses with Xia Taptara FREE VIDEO AND PS BRUSHES

Praying Mantis Kung Fu videos

Praying Mantis Kung Fu video clips

Well well well, since my Manga Comics is now involve very much about Praying Mantis style Kung Fu. I thought some of you might be interested in seeing it in real life form. The one I picked out in the story has the northern Shaolin influence called "7 Stars Praying Mantis." The form is also as far as I can see similar to Wing Chun sticky hands movement in some ways. Anyway, here are some clips:

This one is Praying Mantis VS Wing Chun (Bruce Lee) home video: The winner is obviously Wing Chun, the other dude already lost in the beginning...he jump around too much and insufficient movement. The winner walk straight forward just trying to go for the kill. It's not the form that really matter here though, it is he who has better skills.


This is a solo Preying Mantis style form


And this is sparring (I can see similarity between sticky hand of Wing Chun and the Mantis, especially when he hook and draw the opponent inward.) If you watch carefully (*It's really fast I know), the guy on the left got hit in the face so many times...but this just some kind of sparring demo practice I think so the movement went on.


Alright, I hope you guys have fun watching these. Now you have more info about the actual form. Hope this info help you enjoy the up coming Kapow Express Manga a little more. :)

New tutorials:
-Draw quick comics panel using values and composition.
-Drawing haunted tree and castle
-Manga tutorial drawing giant mecha robot
-Values exercise with three cubes
-How to draw face soft shading female.
-Drawing and painting female nurse cartoon.
-Concept Art tutorial, magma river lava environment.
-How to draw chibi robot Gigantor step by step
-Drawing mutant humanoid creature head

FEATURE TUTORIAL:
Environmental Concept Sketch Tutorial
Face Constructed: How to draw faces
Character Design Tutorial Download
-Draw and Paint Women Body Tutorial II: Female Manga Fusion II
-Character Design Tutorial: Dark Valkyrie

** If you have any basic questions or specific please looked up Q/A section. Most of the time your questions has already been answered in Q/A.

If you need any help or support you can
-post questions or comment on the post (seems to be the fastest way to get response)
Peace,

Comments

Luca said…
I like that this art blog is introduing martial arts stuff.... this upcoming week I'll try to post some martial arts stuff I did (artwork) Since I took martial arts very seriously I have a lot of drawings regarding this matter!

Correct me if I'm wrong brother... but wast that the Northern Style incorporated more acrobatic movements than the southern?? Or vice versa?!
Knuckles930 said…
Nice to see some martial arts indeed.
You might want to look into 客家拳 (Hakka Kuen) also.

My great grand father used to teach this style to his village. =)
Knuckles930 said…
I'll just put some more comment here, because I think that when I would comment on the older posts, there isn't much chance that someone reads it. And it will be easier for me to catch up again, starting from this post.

Anyway I would like to see some Emeici (峨嵋刺) in the comic.

As for the Japanese Imperial army storming in. They didn't started until 1937. By that time, Mei won't be as youthful as she is now.

But if the story would go into WWII and possibly even after, I would like to see how you would put the Chinese revolution in there.

Speaking of revolution you might be able to put in some Kuomintang and the Xinhai Revolution from 1912.
idrawgirls said…
Luca> Nice! Post them action movement. :) I have no idea, I would assume Northern would be more acrobatic. But don't take my words on it, there are 100s and 1000s of styles...lots of them disappear during the Manchu ruling and banning of Martial Art practice in China (sad).

Knuckle: Hakka Kuan is a direct decent from Southern Shaolin and widely taught in Fujian. Is your G-Grandpa from there? That's where my family originated from :) (We are the Wong -cantonsese and Huang -Mandarin). Hungka is also closely related and practice by people from Canton (Wong Fei Hong and his dad Wong Kai Ying)

But Yes, I pick this particular period to do my silly comics which might get pretty serious soon because there are so many things going on in the end of 1800s and early 1900s. The fall of Machu, KMT, Boxer rebellions, the Secret Society, ect.

I would probably implement some historical figures and events in there KME & Imperial expansion included.

I heard of these legendary people (Dr Sun, Yuan Shi Kai, etc.) from my aunts all the time ( I have about 6-7 aunts that I grew up with) anyway. The story begin 1909 HangZhou...Mei is 15 and Cheng is 16. So...we'll see where it heads to. It's madness, but don't count on historical accuracy from it...the Manga will be silly. :)

Emeici? isn't that a Wushu weaponary?
Chris Reeve said…
I don't think the average reader is going to have that kinda knowledge dude. Plus, zombies (yay!) and vampires are going to be in there someday, so I don't think it needs to be realistic.

Also nice photos man, especially like the lionfish. Can't wait to see more!
Chris Reeve said…
Bah Xia snuck in there before me.

P.S. you guys know way too much about martial arts.
idrawgirls said…
Chris> Don't worry, it will be easy to understand, silly, tons of Zombies, and Vampires are coming up.
Historical figures are there as back drop and intertwine to make events more interesting.
Hooray!!!
Luca said…
Brother when you have time check out my blog... I've posted something regarding Drunken Boxing (no action poses though :/) Then tell me what you think...
By the way I had something in mind.... You know that my greatest problem is coloring. Well what do you think if I send you a drawing or upload it on the community and you color it (only if you like it). You know it will still be a lesson for us (especially for me). What do you think?? I'll post it on the community if you want to give it a look. It's a robot.

Please tell me or email me if you accept! I'll be more than grateful!
Knuckles930 said…
I'm not sure where the Emeici belong to, but I think there quite awesome anyway.

As for my fathers side of the family we are from Hong Kong (that is that most of them currently live there).

I'm sad to say that one of the two people that passed away was my Chinese grandma, but my brother said sometimes she would talk in Hakka to him, when he was there for half a year.

When I go to Hong Kong during Xmas I'll see if I can find out some more, might be nice to share. :)