support my work on patreon live workshop and online courses with Xia Taptara FREE VIDEO AND PS BRUSHES

How to draw zombie digital painting tutorial

How to draw zombie horde in comics panel. digital painting tutorial. Here is another quick painting tutorial that I was supposed to post on Halloween. But apparently too much treat for me at the time so I got a flu, I think, for a couple days. Now I'm recovering from it. A little late but better than never. Anyway, same as always, I start off with just shapes and silhouettes. Typically they don't really look like anything at first but just maybe resemble some figures and gestures. Then I start to give it simple values (light and dark, render) and forms. Start with big shapes at first, don't be too concern with tiny little detail yet. Then I rearrange the values and try to get the correct values into the right place. If you do it right, your image can look real. Lighting is the key, sometimes I get really close...but most of the time when I finish, they often lost something along the way. I have to paint more pictures and observe and study really carefully until I will get it to the point that I really want. But for now, here didn't turn out that bad.

Anyhow, a zombie is typically a reanimated corpse, or a human being who is being controlled by someone else by use of magic. More recent stories have used a pandemic illness to explain them. Stories of zombies originated in the West African spiritual belief system of voodoo, which told of the people being controlled as laborers by a powerful wizard. Zombies became a popular device in modern horror fiction, largely because of the success of George A. Romero's 1968 film Night of the Living Dead.

Here is Zombie or Undead digital concept
Below are step by step how to draw and paint Zombies
how to draw zombies
Here is a final version of Zombies
zombie drawing tutorial
Here is a bigger version: Zombie drawing tutorial

Hope you enjoy the tutorial, peace!

More full length PREMIUM video tutorials
Free  Videos      Download & More




  • How to draw barbarian warrior
  • How to draw ninja
  • How to draw ninja girl
  • How to draw Mongol warrior
  • How to draw Tartar warrior
  • How to draw Zombie
  • How to draw gasmask soldier
  • How to draw werewolf
  • How to draw vampire man
  • How to draw vampire female
  • How to draw vampire bat monster
  • How to draw female theif fantasy style
  • How to draw mecha girl in combat suit
  • How to draw a witch
  • How to draw a witch hunter




  • Comments

    Unknown said…
    Awesome! It's always a great time to practice Zombies. In addition to problems with human paintings, I have a bit of learning needed for dramatic lighting. I bet you probably have a dvd covering it, eh? Suggestions?
    Chris Reeve said…
    WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

    Also, nice mohawk zombie.
    Luca said…
    Reminds me of Dougbot! :)

    Nice work Xia, always interesting works from you.
    idrawgirls said…
    Mac Imagery> Thank man... dramatic lighting? believe or not...if you browse this blog enough, you will find enough info to help you out and FREE! Just have to dig them. ;)

    Chris> Oh yeah, it's long overdue, right? ;)

    Luca> LOL bro, Doug has list of things that he can never stop drawing as long as he lives. Zombies and Monkey robot army are just two of them. ;)