support my work on patreon live workshop and online courses with Xia Taptara FREE VIDEO AND PS BRUSHES

How to draw woman upper body torso

How to draw woman upper body.  Drawing anatomy of woman or torso step by step sketching and rendering online lesson.

Drawing Female figure is an art form, it is very challenging to represent femininity, beauty and accuracy at the same time. I usually keep in mind their body language, gesture, and movement whenever I am sketch, drawing or painting woman figure. (unless I am doing a straight forward post model sheet which is not flattering way to represent the female form *though some people can pull it off real well*, but sometimes it is necessary to do so if you are making a 3D model base off of it.) Anyway, I believe drawing women should not be static, it should flow with curve, movement, and grace. To represent a female form well enough to capture the audiences, in sketching, drawing, and painting woman and girl alike is one of the most difficult thing every artist has to solve.

The final sketch:
how to draw body, draw face, how to draw face,draw body, girl
1) On the figure I usually start with spine line then I will define the shoulder and hip. For female figure I believe it's necessary to accentuate the "C" or "S" curve on her pose. In this case the spine line is "S" shape from her neck down to her waist. The first horizontal line represent the top of the head and the second is a shoulder line.
how to draw body, draw face, how to draw face,draw body, girl, step by step, draw, draw lesson, tutorial, draw manga, draw comics, drawing2) I start with the head shape and where it faces. Then I define the rough shoulder and torso shape.

how to draw body, draw face, how to draw face,draw body, girl3) I then roughly adding arms and how it position related to the body. Also I draw another horizontal line to indicate where the level of her breasts would be placed.
how to draw body, draw face, how to draw face,draw body, girl4) I go the refine her face, then both arms and neck roughly.
how to draw body, draw face, how to draw face,draw body, girl, step by step, draw, draw lesson, tutorial, draw manga, draw comics, drawing5) I now can define her hair line and the rest of the head. Then I add both of her breasts (the horizontal line is where her nipples should line up or it levels the center of her breasts), the bottom of her breast should go below the line.
how to draw, draw girl, step by step, draw, draw lesson, tutorial, draw manga, draw comics, drawing6) Check the rough sketch, I think I have everything I need in place. So now I am looking to add the light source onto the figure. On the right, the thumbnails show where I would place the dark shadow roughly if I have the light source coming from the frontal left of the screen.
how to draw body, draw face, how to draw face,draw body, girl7) At this stage, I am going in to refine her face lightly.
8) It look alright, so I go darker and try to figure out the overall value and render the rest of the face.
how to draw body, draw face, how to draw face,draw body, girl
9) Since I got the value range from the face, now I can apply to the rest of the figure starting from the near by area and going downward to her chest.

10) Then I keep expanding the value downward to her right breast, and so on.how to draw body, draw face, how to draw face,draw body, girl11) Same here, keep spreading the value and try to maintain its consistency.

12) Now I am rendering her stomach, belly button and both arms. And done!13) Again, I add value to the back ground so that the white on her body would pop out.
how to draw body, draw face, how to draw face,draw body, girl, step by step, draw, draw lesson, tutorial, draw manga, draw comics, drawing


Female Figure Painting Premium Video Tutorials, Over 3 Hours of Lessons.
how to paint female figure
how to paint female figure 02

More full length Premium Video Tutorials
Free Manga Video tutorial      Downloads


Hope this is helpful,
Have fun sketching.

Peace!

Comments

Anonymous said…
thank you so much for this tutorial!!!! cant wait for more!
Cameron Durgin said…
Nice job. You really captured the grace and essence of this woman in this demo.
idrawgirls said…
Zozan> Thanks brother! there will always be more. :)

Bluejazz87> Thanks man! I try...hope to acquired better and better skillz each time, but it's so hard to get it absolutely what I am aiming for. Cheers!
Unknown said…
Thanks for the tutorial Xia ! I'm a total beginner in drawing. but with your tutorials I'm actually making some progress ! Really appreciate the effort you put into these

-Manaia
idrawgirls said…
Manaia> Thanks brother, I am glad they are helpful...keep it up and keep coming back there will always be updates! :)