How to draw a face
Drawing a realistic female face—capturing clean anatomical structure, feminine proportions, and subtle expression—is one of the most rewarding milestones for any artist or concept illustrator.
Whether you are just starting out or brushing up on your portrait draftsmanship, this updated guide breaks down the core fundamentals of facial construction into manageable, repeatable steps.
Welcome Back to TheArtClasses.Net
A quick note to long-time students and followers: after domain squatters took over our previous domains (.com and idrawgirls.com) following site host issues in 2023, our official home is officially TheArtClasses.Net
I’ve updated and refreshed this lesson for September 2026. While some foundational video demos in this lesson date back to 2014 alongside newer demonstrations, the core planar drawing techniques remain completely timeless. My earliest face tutorials were quick overviews; this updated lesson is a much deeper, more deliberate walkthrough of how to construct a female portrait with proper care and precision.
The Core Philosophy: A Guide, Not the Only Way
Art has no single "correct" method. The step-by-step process below is simply my personal, reliable workflow—the structural approach I use daily for portraits, character designs, and concept art.
Use this guide as a flexible foundation. Learn the proportions and planes first, then adapt them to suit your own artistic voice and style.

Back with a new graphite pencil tutorial! I'm using 3B–5B pencils to walk you through basic portrait construction and form rendering from start to finish.
(Quick note: High-res portrait study images are being updated soon—thanks for hanging tight!)
1. I start with a simple egg shape tilted into a 3/4 angle—it’s the fastest way to nail head volume. Don't leave your head floating in space; immediately anchor it with the neck and shoulders. Giving the head a body right away changes your mindset, helping you see an actual person rather than just a flat oval, which makes placing the facial features much easier.
2. Think in 3D: carve a flat facial plane on the front of your egg with two vertical outer boundaries. Slice that plane right down the middle with a vertical centerline, then cut the total head height in half with a horizontal line. That horizontal mark is your eye line—our eyes sit right at the true vertical midpoint of the head, even if hair volume usually tricks the eye.
3. Next, sandwich the eye line with two more horizontal marks to define eye height. To place the remaining features, mark the base of the nose halfway between the eye line and the bottom of the chin. Finally, drop another mark halfway between the nose and the chin to position the mouth.
4. Draw the eyes between your height bounds, spacing them exactly one eye-width apart (imagine a hidden eye in the middle). For the nose, outline only the base and nostrils! The nose bridge consists of soft midtone planes—outlining the whole bridge with hard dark lines flattens your drawing. In line art, reserve dark pencil marks for the deepest occlusion shadows, like the underplane of the nose, lash lines, and mouth crease. Cap this step with the upper lip, then mark the ear between the eye line and the base of the nose.
5. Gently erase your construction guidelines.
6. Add the eyebrows—anchor the inner corners over the tear ducts and stretch the tails outward. Sketch a quick shadow mark beneath the lower lip.
7. Frame the skull with hair, giving it natural volume above the head contour, and anchor the ear structure.
8. Once the framework is set, zoom in to tighten features, starting with the eyes.
9. Refine the nose contours and lips using light pencil pressure to establish clarity without heavy darks.
10. Lightly map your shadow planes based on front lighting, plotting out your value hierarchy before committing to dark graphite.
11. Block in the base hair values and render directional flow.
12. Finalize your render by locking in the darkest occlusion accents: the eye creases, nostrils, under-nose shadow, and the lip divider. Blend soft midtone transitions across the cheekbones and outer jaw planes to sell convincing 3D depth.
13) Now I start to finalize the drawing from area to area, begin with her left eye. Go watch How to draw eyes for more detail on eyes drawing and shading. Then from here I use the existing value of this particular area to compare to the rest of the final rendering.
14) Then I go for the other eye, and compare value (always compare value for the rest of the drawing).
15) After I get both eyes, then I begin to work on the rest of the face start with the darkest value like around the nose, lips, and chin.
16) Now I have the whole face render, and I have to do the same for hair. For more detail go watch How to draw hair. (Darker hair has stronger contrast and hight light, and lighter hair usually have less contrast.)
17) Now the whole face is done, all I have left to do is to finish up the background to make it a little more appealing. So I scribble in the background to make the white on her face pop out even more. You can also check out the Premium +2 hours video tutorial on How to draw portrait.
18) Finish
ART Tools I used: (Extremely Useful for Portrait Artists)
My team and I made it ourselves PC version.
Review from our Customers
“You are not only a superb artist. You are an excellent teacher.”
“I have to say thanks to you and watching your videos over the years and homing my skills has helped me get into the industry too have been working with a game company for months now and its down to how your videos inspired and helped me. So thank you :D this stuff is also epic ! And Thanks i really appreciate all of this.”
“I love you're videos because you explain what you are doing ewally well and they are very informative Thank you...and keep up the good work.”
“For anyone who is afraid of spending a little money on buying any of the Premium tutorials on idrawgirls.com I gotta say I have tried the Dark Warrior male concept tutorial and it is worth the money. You guys will not be dissatisfied. He is extremely knowledgeable and explains things really well. I know I am happy with it.”
Download my premium video tutorial on Gumroad
- Drawing and Digital Painting Video Tutorials by Xia Taptara
FEATURE TUTORIALS:
- Xia's Free PS and Procreate Brushes on Gumroad
- Digital Painting for Beginners Ultimate Guide
- Digital Painting Tutorial Environment Design Basic
You might also be interested in
- How to draw hair.
- How to draw eyes.
- How to draw nose.
- How to draw lips.
- How to draw human's head.
- How to draw man's body muscle torso.
- How to draw realistic portrait front view.
Hope that helps.
Good luck and have fun with the tutorial.

Comments
for the rest, it's all goooood! thanks for helping and inspiring.
peace!
I was looking at you're portfolio the other day and saw that you did some modelling for guild wars. so I was wonder if you were you planning on ever doing a modelling tutorial?
Those model are like 5 years old. Yeah, they are out dated. Well, we don't make them like that anymore. There are lot of process involve nowadays with new technology like normal map, Z-brush, etc. Well I know how to do them cuz Im probably one of the few guys here that do concept myself from the beginning to finish without passing it on to anyone. ;)
Though this site is only dedicate to 2D and concept only and I'm trying to stay on focus. It's already hard to catch up with the post. If Im retired someday I might make a 3D tutorial site but chances are pretty slim cuz 3D nowadays takes forever to finish just one model. :)
Good luck.
You might want to check out my buddy here he does 3D tutorials
http://www.pointpusher.blogspot.com/
And he's way better at it than I am.
good luck
Tons of videos
good luck, ;)
So, i want to download some of ur's guids and tutorials, but i can't pay u with card. Have u got some WebMoney pocket or smth like this ?
I really want to lern and to be same master-level as u are.
@crudusorc sorry, we only have the card system, Paypal, Google Checkout, and Amazon Checkout. We think these are pretty standard enough. You can download the free ones though Thanks ;-)
p.s. I apologize for my stubborn ^^
thank you
Post a Comment